You’ve landed a great new job, but you can’t afford to sink your salary into a new wardrobe. Well you can’t exactly wear lounge pants and sweat shirts to the office, so what’s a girl to do? Building a professional wardrobe doesn’t have to break the bank!
You can create a polished professional look for less. The key to looking put together is quality and fit. Buying new, you likely will not get great quality and fit unless you blow your savings. Fear not, savvy secondhand shopping can get you exactly what you need and you’ll save a bundle! We’ve created a handy dandy checklist of items that you can buy over time, or if you are in for a shopping spree you can find over a weekend!
These are wardrobe staples that will give you versatility to mix and match looks for networking events, meetings, and dinner after work. Before heading out on the prowl to find these items take inventory in your own closet and see what you may already own. Try on the items and make sure they fit properly. If you have anything that doesn’t fit decide if it can be altered, and if not donate it! Remember you don’t want clothes that are too tight or too big. If you aren’t sure if you have a flattering fit ask your super honest friend (we all have one)!
Working Woman Wardrobe Checklist
1. Black Trousers: The ultimate multi-taskers sleek dress pants can go with anything! Bonus buys: Navy blue, brown, and a classic tweed or houndstooth
2. Button Down Shirt: A white french cuff button down is a must have! Bonus buys: Solid light blue and your favorite color in pinstripes.
3. Form Flattering Skirt: A pencil skirt is a classic silouhette, but if it doesn't look good on you find a style that works. Make sure it's knee length or mid calf, you don't want it too short for the office. Bonus buy: Opt for a print in addition to solid colors.
4. Blazers: A great blazer can be paired with trousers, skirts, and jeans to give you a lot of different outfit options. Go for neutral colors like black, navy, and tan to give you the most mix and match options. Bonus buys: A bold color or a fun print!
5. Blouses: Stock up on pretty blouses in a variety of solids and prints. Think ahead to the mix and match factor with your blazers or wearing alone with trousers and skirts. Bonus buys: Polka dots and stripes are versatile patterns that will mix and match with lots of styles.
6. Sheath Dress: A sheath dress offers you great versatility. Look flawless from day to evening for any occasion in this dress. Pair it under a blazer and change up the look with accessories. Bonus buy: You can never go wrong with a solid black sheath.
7. Great Fitting Jeans: Dark wash boot cut jeans are a Casual Friday must have. Keep your jeans professional looking and avoid distressed jeans or ultra tight fitting. Bonus buy: Trouser style wide leg jeans look fabulous for the office.
8. Classic Pumps: You can never go wrong with a classic pair of pumps. These go to shoes look great with pants, skirts, dresses, and jeans. Bonus buy: Spice things up with neutral leopard pumps
9. Statement Handbag: A great handbag completes your look. Focus on finding a style that is structured and can accomodate your gear and a laptop. Bonus buy: An unexpected neutral like a bold red.
10. Accessories: You can make the same outfit look new aga in with different accessories. Think of accessories as icing on the cake. Necklaces, earrings, scarves, and belts can be found at thrift stores for mere pennies, so always check these out when shopping. Bonus buy: Quality leather belts in a variety of colors.
Adding these pieces are a great foundation for your wardrobe. Purchased new you could spend thousands, but with your keen thrifty eyes you can score our top 10 for as little as $100! So let us know the deals you've found listed here or items you'd add to our top 10?